The Sardine Run
The Sardine Run otherwise known as the greatest shoal on earth! We can only describe The Sardine Run as the best natural event we have ever witnessed, and we have witnessed some pretty amazing things underwater. The Sardine Run happens when a band of cold water gets pushed up the coast by changing weather patterns. This band funnels massive shoals of sardines up the East coast of South Africa towards hungry predators waiting.
Our main goal is to find baitballs, but it does not go off everyday. On slow baitball days, we still encounter dolphins, Humpback whales and sharks. This makes it the ultimate Ocean Safari. The Sardine Run is unpredictable, weather is unpredictable – but the payoff is very rewarding.
Location: Port st Johns, South Africa.
Expedition dates for 2019:
- 1st Expedition – 20 June – 30 June 2019
- 2nd Expedition – 30 June – 10 July 2019
- 3rd Expedition – 10 July – 20 July 2019
- 4th Expedition – 20 July – 30 July 2019
Expedition dates for 2020:
- 1st Expedition – 19 – 29 June (9 days/10 nights)
- 2nd Expedition – 29 June – 9 July (9 days/10 nights)
- 3rd Expedition – 9 – 19 July (9 days/10 nights)
- 4th Expedition – 19 – 29 July (9 days/10 nights)
Accommodation: “The Creek” – from 2014 we are back at the trusty old Creek! It is just the best place to stay while in Port st Johns.
Meals: Light B/fast (cereals, toast, yoghurts, coffee, juice), Lunch Pack on boat, Dinners (real SA food, braai’s stews and potjies).
- 9 days at sea (weather permitting)
- 10 nights accommodation
- All meals and non alcoholic drinks
- Return transfers from Durban airport
- Daily transfers to launch site and scenic drives to explore the coastline
- Shared aerial information
- Cylinders, fills and weight belt
- Experienced dive guides/skipper
- Dive gear (available for rent if needed)
R53 636 p/p sharing (plus an additional R3 300 for a single supplement)
R375 650 for private charter. Min 5 divers and Max 8+1 guide.
R331 650 for a VIP charter. Max 4 divers OR
R82 912 p/p for VIP charter 4 divers
R59 000 p/p sharing (plus an additional R3 630 for a single supplement)
R413 215 for private charter. Min 5 divers and Max 8+1 guide.
R364 815 for a VIP charter. Max 4 divers OR
R91 203 p/p for VIP charter 4 divers
*Please note that above information is a guideline and can vary depending on shark behaviour or environmental conditions.