SARDINE RUN OCEAN SAFARI
The greatest shoal on earth! I can only describe it as the best natural event I have ever witnessed, and I have witnessed some pretty amazing things underwater. It happens when a band of cold water gets pushed up the coast by changing weather patterns. This band funnels massive shoals of sardines up the East coast of South Africa towards hungry predators waiting.
The action normally starts around Port Elizabeth and East London before reaching the Wild Coast. Port st Johns is located on the hot spot of this migration route. Common Dolphins, Bottle nose Dolphins, Cape Gannots, Brudus whales, Humpback whales, Dusky sharks, Copper sharks, Bull sharks, Black tip sharks, Ragged tooth sharks, Cape fur seals, even Sail fish can be seen in this area at this time.
Our main goal is to find baitballs, but it does not go off everyday. On slow baitball days, we still encounter dolphins, Humpback whales and sharks. This makes it the ultimate Ocean Safari. The run is unpredictable, weather is unpredictable – but the payoff is very rewarding.
Location: Port st Johns, South Africa.
Expedition dates for 2018:
- 1st Expedition – 20 June – 30 June 2018
- 2nd Expedition – 30 June – 10 July 2018
- 3rd Expedition – 10 July – 20 July 2018
- 4th Expedition – 20 July – 30 July 2018
Expedition dates for 2019:
- 1st Expedition – 20 June – 30 June 2019
- 2nd Expedition – 30 June – 10 July 2019
- 3rd Expedition – 10 July – 20 July 2019
- 4th Expedition – 20 July – 30 July 2019
Accommodation: “The Creek” – from 2014 we are back at the trusty old Creek! It is just the best place to stay while in Port st Johns.
Meals: Light B/fast (cereals, toast, yoghurts, coffee, juice), Lunch Pack on boat, Dinners (real SA food, braai’s stews and potjies).
- 9 days at sea (weather permitting)
- 10 nights accommodation
- All meals and non alcoholic drinks
- Return transfers from Durban airport
- Daily transfers to launch site and scenic drives to explore the coastline
- Shared aerial information
- Cylinders, fills and weight belt
- Experienced dive guides/skipper
- Dive gear (available for rent if needed)
R48 760 p/p sharing (plus an additional R3 000 for a single supplement)
R341 500 for private charter. Min 5 divers and Max 8+1 guide.
R301 500 for a VIP charter. Max 4 divers OR
R75 375 p/p for VIP charter 4 divers
R53 636 p/p sharing (plus an additional R3 300 for a single supplement)
R375 650 for private charter. Min 5 divers and Max 8+1 guide.
R331 650 for a VIP charter. Max 4 divers OR
R82 912.50 p/p for VIP charter 4 divers
*Please note that above information is a guideline and can vary depending on shark behaviour or environmental conditions.